Community

PostieCon '08?

By November 13, 2007 34 Comments

As I am sure you all know from watching RockStartup, organizing PostieCon was a huge effort for us (particularly Brit and Ashley who did a fantastic job). At the end of the day I was pretty happy with the event, though I wish I would have seen more Posties there. The attendance at BlogWorld itself wasn’t quite what I had expected, but all and all I think we both did pretty well considering this was the first year for each of these conferences.

Now I have a few big questions for you:
1. Should we do this again next year?
4. What was the best part of the event?
5. What would you change?

This is a big investment for IZEA and we are doing it for the advertisers and posties we serve. I want to make sure that you see the value in what we are doing before we commit to doing it again.

Join the discussion 34 Comments

• Cass says:

Yes, you should totally do it again. For real, I learned so much in the sessions, stuff that will make me a better blogger, which in turn is good for Izea.

Yes, I will attend in person again. I thoroughly enjoyed ineracting with the staff and the other posties. While I think that the online thing was good for those that couldn’t attend, I am also sure being there was better.

I would pay a small fee, bit I also think it would be great to refund that for those that show up, either as a cash, or an opp to write about it. In fact, I shared that idea with Boy Ashley, and he assured me he would share it with you while claiming it as his own. HA!

Totally the best part of the trip was meeting all my friends. The best part of the sessions was..the sessions. They were all good, and I learned something in each one.

I would change….I don’t know. It was all amazing. I guess I would change the registration process so that Izea had a more accurate count, and also *cough* make it two days.

• Michelle says:

1. Should we do this again next year?
    Yes, I would have attended if i would have been able to afford to. I had just recently joined ppp so I didn’t have enough time to save for a ticket to Vegas.

Maybe you could do an opp where you have a contest that pays for the plane ticket of like 5 bloggers next yr.

I will plan on it if i know when it is and where it will be 6 months in advance so i have enough time to save for the trip! I did not go this yr all tho I attended the online web cast.

Yes a 25-50 dollar fee would be fine as long as it provided we got a t-shirt in our size and Some other swag.

4. What was the best part of the event?
    I would have to say all of what I was able to view from web cast. 🙂

5. What would you change? Better audio for the web cast

• Mama Bok says:

Hey..Ted,

i didn’t get to attend this year.. because we are new with PPP .. but come next year.. hubby, me and my brat will attend .. 100% sure.. if you are still holding the convention. And yes.. we are willing to a fee .. to make it more successful than it already is.

jan aka mama bok

• Tee says:

Re: 2. Would you plan on attending next year in person (and did you attend this year in person or online)?

I didn’t realize there was on online version, or I may have participated. I could not afford to go, and like many others, I have small children, so this type of thing (in person) is not something I can do or will do in the near future.

• Jenn says:

Absolutely!
    I would definitely make plans to attend next year in person. The online thing was great for those who couldn’t attend, but being there in person is so much more rewarding.
    Yes! If it is anything like this year’s (or better!) it would definitely be worth the money. Though, I like Cass’ idea too 😉
    4. What was the best part of the event?
    It was great to meet everyone that we’ve been talking to over the past year, plus. The sessions were awesome, and we all walked away with such great information. In the end though, the personal aspects of it were what made it amazing– the things you can’t get from a webcast. Talking to, and touching (lots of touching LOL) the people we’ve been working with and getting to know.
    5. What would you change?
    I don’t know what I’d change. I’d love to see more people there… so no venue/date changes midgame! Really, I don’t know. Length, maybe? Obviously if you’re going to hook up with BlogWorld again, that might not be feasible, but it was a little disappointing that it was over so soon!

• skeet says:

1. Should we do this again next year?
    Absolutely – bigger and better even!
    I’d love to be there, but it’s not likely I could do it unless you have it here in Hawaii. I’m sure some posties love that idea, but the expense of the trip would put it out of reach for too many. I attended via video this time.
    I’ve paid much more than that for quality conferences, so yes, that’s a very reasonable fee.
    4. What was the best part of the event?
    The panel discussions. Getting the straight dope from successful bloggers and our advertisers – that’s top quality stuff we can all use! Oh, and the Argus/SocialSpark stuff – that’s pretty good, too. :0D
    5. What would you change?
    Aside from actually being there? The venue! Everyone seems to think that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas so no one is giving up the dirt!

Mahalo to Trevor for helping those of us who couldn’t be there bridge the miles and share the experience!

• Lori says:

Absolutely!

I already have it in my plans! No, I didn’t attend this year. And I didn’t know you could check it out online either.

I agree with the others. I would pay it but would like to see some kind of perk of sorts:)

4. What was the best part of the event?
    N/A
    5. What would you change?
    N/A

• daphne63 says:

Definitely if it is held anywhere in the east coast. I could always fly to JFK for a reasonable price.

Absolutely. Even if I am not able to attend, I’ll still chip in if there shall be a need. But I don’t think I fancy the cakes in my face 😀

• Ann says:

I would definitely attend next year, and would pay a $25-$50 fee. I didn’t realize there was a ‘cast of the event either.

Like another mentioned, I would need to know definite dates and details months in advance in order to plan for it, take off work a sufficient number of days, and save money for the trip. I’m not so sure I could fly. I never have and the thought scares the beegeebies out of me. But, I used to drive a truck and can find my way anywhere in the lower 48 and in pretty decent time, too! lol

• courtney says:

With all the fun that I had, because of all the people I met, and all that I learned, it would make me said if I didn’t get the opportunity to go to PostieCon next year.

If there is a PostieCon 2008, you’d better believe I’ll be there in person. I mean, I gotta rally for another cake plow.

Having some idea about how much was spent on this event, I would definitely pay a small fee to attend next year. (But I also think Cass had a great idea about this too)

The best part of the event was meeting the people that I’ve been talking to for a year and meeting the people who’s blogs I’ve been reading and they’ve been reading mine. It was cool to put faces to names, and voices to posts. Like Colleen said in a comment she left me, she can now hear me read my post, and that’s cool.

The sessions were great sessions. There was a lot to be gleaned from them. The speakers were great. They did their presentations well.

There’s not much I would change about PostieCon. I would vote for non-frozen cakes to make the cake plow easier. I would vote for all people on the panel to be vocal, not just a pretty face, there’s too much to be learned from what’s being said to have someone up there not talking. Like others, I would go for a 2 day event.

But I think y’all did an amazing event, and if nothing were to change, I’d do it all over again, because it was fun and exciting. I was sad when it was over.

• brettbum says:

I attended the entire show. I love visiting Vegas, but Vegas is expensive. The Las Vegas Convention Center is a great place, but it is expensive too. Vegas is a draw for people but it can be a distraction too.

All that said here’s my specific responses:

1. Should we do this again next year?
    Yes, I plan on speaking if that’s cool with everyone. 🙂

Sure

4. What was the best part of the event?

The section on What do Advertisers want, was definitely the best session.

5. What would you change?

I’d work to combine the Podcast Expo and New Media Convention (scheduled for August 08), BlogWorld, and Postiecon into one big event.

The Podcast Expo has a bigger following and attendance, but that industry is also a little more immature in the monetization area. They need us, and we need their highly developed sense of building readership, traffic and sticky content. Some of the speakers were redundant between the 2 big shows and that could be consolidated.

I would say, move it from Vegas, but that probably isn’t going to happen. So to justify the cost and location in the LVCC, the show has to get bigger and get bigger faster.

Separately, given that Izea has about 85k bloggers and we saw a turnout at a fraction of that size, I think we need to get the Izea blogger numbers up to a more respectable level, say around the 1 million blogger level. Then when a fraction of bloggers turn out, we’ll have a big ass convention!

• Ranee says:

I think if I knew where it was, when it was, and had almost an entire year to sink my earnings into the savings thing…granted the PR lowering does not kill me…I’d go for sure. I’d love to meet other posties, learn things, etc.

Plus, a tropical location wouldn’t hurt anything.

• Colleen says:

Who forgot to close their italics tag? 🙂

1. Should we do this again next year?

Yes, absolutely. As Izea grows, I think you’ll see more people come to something like this.

You couldn’t keep me away! Meeting everyone in person and talking about PPP / Izea for days on end was right up my alley.

Yes, and I’d like to think such a fee would keep people from registering and not showing.

4. What was the best part of the event?

Besides all of Saturday, Tao! That party was amazing. I’m sure it cost a pretty penny, so keep in mind for next year, it’s not the place, it’s the people. We could have all of that fun in my backyard with a keg and some pizza rolls.

5. What would you change?

I’m not sure about pairing up with BWE again. I didn’t realize it was the first year for that event. So much of it didn’t speak to me as a blogger, the way I blog. And not to criticize the speakers you arranged for, while I liked their message, I don’t think it was what a lot of people in the room needed. Sure, it’s great to get advice from industry leaders, but those people aren’t blogging anymore, they’re running a business and paying others to write for them. Next year, I’d like to see more speakers who cater to people who still write their own content. Topics:

Improving content
    Setting up blogs / using WordPress
    Plugins
    What not to do
    How to make the most of your sponsored post
    Running multiple blogs
    Growing traffic on a $0 budget
    Social networking
    Making videos for opps

Also, I still think my idea of having it on a cruise ship rocks. The cruise I mentioned to you out of Port Canaveral is $250 per person, including tax and port charges, and that includes food. The only other fees to attend would be airfare and drinks, and anything you did on your own at the island stops. Having everyone in one place would make it so much easier to catch up / meet / spend time with people.

With all of that said, the event exceeded every expectation I had and was amazing. The party at Tao was off the hook, meeting everyone was wonderful, all of the Izea people were fab, and it was the best trip I’ve had in a long time!

• Loretta says:

Okay so Postiecon 2008 is in Colleen’s backyard and its BYOB. Sounds good to me. 😉

Seriously though I really like that cruise idea. We’d all be in one place, not scattered about at different hotels and casinos.

I plan on attending next year if there’s a postiecon as long as the dates don’t interfere with anything else that I have to do it will be good stuff. I have no problem paying a conference fee either. Hopefully that will discourage wasteful registrants from signing up and then no showing.

I attended via my computer and Trevor’s camera this year! And it was great to be able to tune into the action. I wasn’t able to afford the airfare and the dates just weren’t good this year so I wasn’t able to be there in person.

• suni says:

1. Should we do this again next year?
    yes and yes i got to see some of the online. i was sad that i couldnt afford to be there

• Jules says:

1. Should we do this again next year? YES PLEASE!

2. Would you plan on attending next year in person (and did you attend this year in person or online)? FOR SURE!

3. If you come in person would you be willing to pay a small fee ($25-50) to help us put on a quality event again? OF COURSE!

4. What was the best part of the event? All of Saturday was great. The Fab Four was interesting to listen to, and the advertisers also. Cake plow=good times, and Tao was the BOMB!

5. What would you change? At this particular one I would have liked to hear more about Social Spark and be able to ask questions. It was too rushed, and I left feeling I still had unanswered questions.

• Everyone is doing a great job answering your questions, so I’ll just say:

I am so there next year!!!!!!

• Deb says:

Yes I’d come next year. I’d love to have done it this year, but I leave for Disney this week, so two back-to-back trips wasn’t a choice for me.

The best part (not going) was the live streaming video. I loved watching the seminars you aired. There were some great speakers and information shared

yes, i’d pay the fee

change: me getting there

• Luke says:

I want to go! Ted, bring me next time!!

• Karen says:

I would love to attend next year. A cruise sounds great. The only thing I would have changed would have been to make some things shorter and spend a whole day on SocialSpark. That went by in a blur!

• Marisa says:

1. Should we do this again next year?

Yes! I wanted to be there but family issues happened. I did get to attend via the online feed. I don’t think you can keep me away from the next one.

Absolutely.

4. What was the best part of the event?

Watching online. Twittering with the attendees.

5. What would you change?

I’ll leave that to those who attended in person. 🙂

• alli says:

Yes, I would definitely try to come next year. I’m not too sold on the Vegas venue, I think it was too big a city for the number of folks (probably more expensive too). I liked Vegas, don’t get me wrong, but it might be worth it to think smaller next year.

I also think I would have preferred a banquet to a nightclub. I would have liked to have mingled with more people and the nightclub made it very difficult (very dark). Open bar is still a great thing.

I would pay money to attend postiecon 2008.

I like all the suggestions Colleen had about sessions. I enjoyed our speakers, but I agree that they are no longer writing their own blogs, so it seemed a bit off topic.

That’s all.

• 1. Abso-positive-lutely – you/we should do this next year! Meeting everyone, learning and being part of this event has enthused me to work harder and smarter.

2. Yes, I was there in person – I still have the bleeding eyeballs to prove it… Give me the dates and location for next year and I’ll book tomorrow.

In the meantime perhaps you could put out occasional opps for ‘everyone’ to donate a portion toward PostieCon08 costs.

I love the cruise idea – it would certainly be more fun if we were ‘together’.

A hospitality suite might be a nice idea as well (with Mr Fab hosting it!) – and again perhaps we all could contribute through special opps towards the cost.

3. YES, I’d pay $25.00 to $50.00 now I KNOW it’s worthwhile – but as Colleen said – a barbecue in the backyard is good – it’s the people, not the place. TAO was fabulous and I’m sure everyone felt like a rockstar, but it was perhaps a tiny bit more sophisticated than we needed… I certainly could get used to it though 🙂 – but if you want to cut costs next year that’s where I’d start.

4. The best part was meeting the other posties and feeling welcomed by the entire friendly Izea team.

5. The only thing I want to change is raffle ticket numbers with whomever won a Roomba!

• LaDonna says:

1. Should we do this again next year? Yes.

2. Would you plan on attending next year in person (and did you attend this year in person or online)? I watched what I could online and read twitters from friends that were there. I’ll definitely be in a better financial position next year where I could attend in person.

3. If you come in person would you be willing to pay a small fee ($25-50) to help us put on a quality event again? Sure.

5. What would you change? I don’t think I would’ve enjoyed the part at Tao that much. Nightclubs aren’t my thing anymore. I would definitely prefer to attend something at a more casual location.

• msmyla says:

SHOULD WE DO THIS AGAIN NEXT YEAR?

Definitely! So those who were not able to come this year will have another chance next year. And the fee is okay.

• Lisa says:

1. Should we do this again next year?

YES!!! I attended in person.

I’d prefer free. However, I think it would cut down on the no shows with a small fee attached. I do like Cass’s idea too. You could run a contest to see who could get the most people to sign up to go too!

4. What was the best part of the event?

Meeting everyone. And the Ipod nano. 🙂

5. What would you change?

I have to agree with the location. I vote for Chicago. LOL Seriously, we were all extremely spread out. I think most of us came home with blisters too. Vegas is a pricey town.

The first speaker we had on Saturday was the most beneficial. However, everyone of the speakers have people writing for them. The majority of people will never get to that level. I agree with Colleen with her list.

• Elizabeth says:

I would love to go next year! But I would suggest a hotel/convention center location, in a city with a major hub airport, like Chicago or Atlanta maybe. If you have everyone staying in the same place, you can negotiate a better hotel room rate, and there can be breaks between the sessions.

I would be willing to pay a fee, if it would help pay for things like meals and things.

I also agree with Colleen’s list.

• Jamie says:

Skeet I closed your italics tag for you. Hehe. 🙂

• Tina Kubala says:

I missed the online live feeds, but watched after the fact. Next year I’ll be marking my calender for the on-line feeds, so I’m hoping for better production values. Most of your Posties are going to attend via the net, so it would be worth putting some of the budget into the casting.

I’d love to come, but making the trip is out of the question when we have so much family we don’t live around. Unless, of course, it’s in St Louis (where we live) or Seattle (where my parents live).

Congrats, Izea on the first major party.

• Stephanie says:

Yes, do it again next year! Travel budget permitting I’ll be there. Only reason I didn’t come this year was family obligations relating to my grandmother’s death. Just about drove me nuts when I realized the two conflicted.

A small fee is no problem.

• Drew says:

Ted, let me say that the first ever PostieCon was the highlight of my time in Vegas!

1. Should we do this again next year?
    Absolutely, just not in Las Vegas, way too expensive, people spread out all over and I walked my sore little feet off and missed the Photo in front of the Bellagio. I wish I had made it to be part of that.

I would absolutely attend next year and Mrs. BenSpark is going to be coming too. I set her up with her own domain during the event as well. She’s got a blog and will be working on it more and will soon become a Postie. So having the two of us go will be great because we can roll it into a vacation.

I do like Colleen’s idea of a cruise. There can be so many things that can be done on a cruise especially when everyone is in the same place.

Don’t get me wrong I loved Tao and felt like a rock star (or maybe I was feeling the Coronas and Grateful Deads in my system.) But as soon as our event was over I felt completely out of place and left. I think something a little more casual would be tons of fun, while I loved the appetizers I’d still be happy with something more casual. Regular burger sliders and mozzarella sticks and chicken fingers would be fun too.

I’d pay $100 for a quality event to help defray some costs.

4. What was the best part of the event?
    The best part of the event for me was being able to be part of the Fab 4 panel. I know I was a last minute sub but I was very excited to participate.

The Cake Plow was also a great thing. I absolutely loved participating, and yes I agree with Courtney, defrost those cakes next time. I’d love to see some tie in with a cake plow and a charity. I.E. For each cake plow a donation is made to a charity. Heck try and get the Ace of cakes involved and make the cake plow a huge event.

The party at Tao was great because it gave us some relaxed time to spend with other posties. I was there on my own and it wasn’t really until the party at Tao that I felt like a part of the group.

5. What would you change?
    The venue, Vegas is a killer on the pocket.
    More warning for the live feed. That would have been great to have been something that was announced via a notification when posties signed in to PayPerPost.
    Make it two days with some workshops about making better blogs rather than speakers with already wildly successful blogs. I think the fab four panel was great maybe involve more Posties in breakout sessions specializing in their areas of expertise. Experts in Blogger, WordPress, and Social media, mobile blogging, things like that that can enhance each Postie’s blog. Maybe a session on graphics with Marty, Social Networks with Ashley things like that.

But definitely do a Cake Plow.

BTW: I taped the whole Fab four and am working on cutting it into 4 or 5 videos. I tried to upload the entire thing but it was way to big. Will be up soon though.

• Katy says:

Yes, absolutely!!

Because of the baby, it’d have to be close to home again (I’m a Vegas local) or have plenty of time to plan in advance. But I’d be sorely disappointed if it was anywhere and I’d miss it. Online just can’t be the same as being there in person. But c’mon you know Vegas is the best place to party it up!

Yep, those prices are good but I do like Cass’ idea!

4. What was the best part of the event?
    Meeting the IZEA crew and other posties. Tao was absolutely amazing as well.

5. What would you change?
    Span it over 2 days with more speakers on a wide range of topics. Actually, can I just copy/paste here everything that Drew said about the workshops? I totally agree with his ideas there and I can’t top it. LOL I also like the cake plow for charity idea… I didn’t take part in it but I totally would have if it was for charity!

• J. Mama says:

Most conferences have a fee, so asking for one is perfectly fine.

80% chance I’ll be attending next year.

• skeet says:

Mahalo for fixing my goof, Jamie. I noticed it right away but there was no way for me to go back in and edit. Sorry!